Saturday, June 18, 2011

A Visit From Grandma

My mom came to visit Keena and I today! She made the three and a half hour trip from Evansville, my hometown, to my place just to see me (maybe Keena a little bit too). I was very excited to see her and so was Keena! My mom is a wonderful, loving and patient woman; she means the world to me. Before I got Keena my mom was actually afraid of big dogs. Keena has, I believe, helped to ease her mind a bit and show her that the size of the dog isn't what you need to be afraid of.  I am a firm believer that the way the dog is raised and handled is a major player in how the dog reacts to all the situations that they are put into. I'm lucky that even though Keena had an unpleasant past before I adopted her she loves ALL people and gets along with most dogs. True to her breed, Keena is very laid back and calm and is a wonderful dog for people who are afraid of big dogs to meet. If you are lucky enough (in my opinion) to meet Keena she does not jump, bark, mouth, paw, or do anything that is too in your face. She is a good ambassador of the breed known as a gentle giant. The first time Keena met my mom she rolled on her back and showed my mom her belly....she hadn't even done that for me yet at that time.
   We began our afternoon with a walk in the park down the street that I love. Its only a few minutes away by car and is very lively and full of people doing all of fun summer time activities. Keena did very well on her walk but she did however try to eat a squirrel. She showed grandma her new trick we are learning of "to your bed". Keena was so exhausted that she laid down inside the door on the cool floor before I could even get the door closed! I got her some nice cool water and my mom and I went to lunch at a local place I had not been to yet. We filled our bellies with delicious food and went to the grocery store so that I could get some food! It's really nice to go shopping with someone else and be able to have that company in the little everyday things. This is one thing that I miss so much about living at home where I always had someone to go anywhere with! When we finished we unloaded the goods and my lovely mother even helped me clean my apartment! (I did not ask for her assistance. She is just kind enough to see a damzel in distress when it comes to cleaning. haha.) We talked for a little while and then it was time for her to head back home. Keena and I were sad to see her go but know that she is only a phone call away and that we will see her in a month when we go to Evansville for a little vacation. Distance truly does make the heart grow fonder!

Cought looking out the window after Grandma left.

*Sigh* Pouting cuz Grandma is officially gone. Til next time dear Grandmother!

No comments:

Post a Comment