Thursday, June 16, 2011

Too Smart For Her Own Good

I have been keeping Keena in the bathroom somedays when I go to work. Its a nice sized bathroom and I make sure she has some nice bedding so she is not laying on the hard floor. She isn't really fond of staying in there but doesn't fight it as much as she did the crate. Well, I came home from work the other day and she had locked herself in the bathroom! I almost panicked because its the kind of lock where you push a button and it doesnt even have screws on the outside of the door so I couldn't even take the knob off! With a paper clip (and a little luck) I got in to rescue the "damzel in distress". I opened the door to find my cabinet under the sink open and EVERYTHING pulled out from inside it. She shredded a roll of toilet paper and dumped over the trash but it was relatively clean considering. And there sat my giant dog, tail wagging, tongue hanging out just so thrilled to see me. How can you get mad at that? Not to mention if I would have yelled and screamed she wouldn't have a clue as to what I was carrying on about. I don't know how she opened the cabinet because they don't have handles or anything and barely has a lip on the edge. Oh my goodness I have to buy child protection locks for my Great Dane.


Her best attempt at looking sweet and innocent. Don't believe her!

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Keena! We recently discovered your blog and look forward to getting to know you. We are also rescue doggies: Abby is a boxer-beagle mix and Jed is a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever. Even though we are mid-sized doggies, mama had Great Danes most of her life so we love to read Dane blogs. Mama also volunteered with Great Dane Rescue in the mid-Atlantic for about 12 years, several years ago [before she got so old].

    Have you read Lincoln the French Great Dane's blog, or Big Honey Dog's blog [Australian Dane]? You might find some helpful tips there. Honey has lots of helpful Dane tips on her blog and it is well organized. Lincoln is entering his 'teenage' phase and can be destructive when left alone in the apartment. You might ask your mom to be sure you have stuff to do when you have to stay in a small space, like kongs or other toys that you have to work to get little bits of food out of so they occupy your attention for a long time, and durable chew bones. Although putting child-proof locks on the cabinet might help, you know with your jaws of doom and your strength, they are not going to be strong enough to keep you out of the cabinet, so we're sure your mom has removed everything that could possibly be dangerous if chewed or swallowed from every place you could conceivably reach in the bathroom.

    It's wonderful that your mom traded for your nice pillow bed, which we're sure you love - especially when it's cold. When it's hot, fluffy beds can be uncomfortably warm, though. You might consider an orthopedic foam bed for summer, although sometimes the cool floor is just the most comfortable place. You can find lots of Dane sized doggie beds online, at places like Drs. Foster & Smith dot com. Mama got her Dane beds there, and always got 2 covers so there was always a clean cover to put on the bed when washing the dirty cover.

    From reading some of your prior posts, it looks like you are making amazing progress in your new home. It sure sounds like your mom loves you a lot and is doing everything she can to keep you happy and healthy. We are delighted you have found such a wonderful new home.

    Jed & Abby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jed and Abby,
    Thank you so much for your lovely comment! I think it is so awesome that your mom worked with the Mid Atlantic Dane Rescue...I myself am trying to volunteer with the Forever Friends Great Dane Rescue Inc. I check Honey's blog religiously and thanks to your comment I now check Lincolns. Keena is an overall great girl she is just having some boredome issues. I also think she has some separation anxiety. I know she could easily break through the child proof locks and dont keep her in the bathroom if I don't have to. The problem with Keena is that she doesn't play with toys and the Kong doesnt hold her interest long enough to even get all of the food out. I plan on trying a different type of puzzle feeder to see if that works but I'm not sure. The only thing she really loves are bones and rawhides that aren't safe to leave with her when I'm gone. So, this is where I struggle not knowing how to entertain her. I will look into the dog beds. I had the hardest time finding even that one. I'll have to go on line because other stores might be in downtown Indy but I dont' like traveling there unless I know where I'm going. (Parking downtown can be a big pain!). Don't worry about it getting too hot...I keep my A.C. nice and low for Miss Keena. If not she would be panting all the time! Thank you so much for your comment and I hope that you continue to follow Keena and I's journey!

    Annie and Keena

    ReplyDelete