Sunday, June 12, 2011

Idianapolis Canal and Great Dane Group

  Today when I got off work the weather was absolutely gorgeous! I knew I wanted to walk Keena and that she wouldn't overheat or anything! I convinced Charles to come with me to the canal walkway in downtown Indy.  He lives only about 15 minutes from the canal and has been many times before but I have never seen it, I didn't really even know where it was. I packed Keena in the car and off we went to pick up Charles. After finding a parking spot (street parking in Indy isn't the easiest to come by but we found one and were lucky because they don't make you pay on Sundays), we walked a couple of blocks until we got to one of the many canal entrances. There were so many people! We met at least thirty or more dogs and people, of course, could not get over Keena. It was nice for Charles to finally see what I go through when I walk her.  Most people were in awe of her and wanted to compliment her or just gawk, but some were actually really afraid of her and would walk way on the other side of the sidewalk. I think its funny because with Keena the only danger you are in is from her wagging tail, or if she likes you she will lean on you and could potentially take you down.  The canal is just beautiful and Charles and I plan to go down there once a week (probably Sundays since parking is free) because we really enjoyed spending the time together and the socialization is wonderful for Keena.


Keena and I at the top of a really cool fountain...I didn't realize that the railing was so high...so you couldn't see Keena very well.

Charles and I in front of said fountain.

I was attempting a cute pic with faces next to each other but she thought it would be better to give me kisses. I can't really complain. :)

Her favorite thing to do on a walk...not walk. Haha.

Her first look at the canal...I think she is impressed.

Or maybe not...guess she got tires of sitting.

Another photo attempt. *sigh*

One of the many foot bridges that allow you to go from one side of the canal to the other.


  The best part about our walk was meeting (well, kind of meeting) the Great Dane Group of Indianapolis! I say kind of meeting them because when I saw them they were on the other side of the canal. I was talking to this nice girl with an adorable beagle puppy who kept howling at Keena. As Keena wrinkled her forehead in confusion at this little bundle of energy I happened to glance across the canal. To my astonishment I saw about twenty people with twenty plus Danes walking in a group! My jaw dropped and I was practically bursting with excitement (I think I may have worried Charles slightly, hehe)!!!! I turned and started walking along our sidewalk in the direction that they were going; I simply had to talk to these people. One of the ladies in the group stopped to let her dog relieve himself and she looked my direction. I saw my opportunity and spoke loudly (the canal isn't really that big so it wasn't really yelling) asking her if they were a group. She said that they were and that they meet about twice a month at different parks in and around Indy. She told me the website to go and find their group and the second I got home I joined! I cannot wait to take Keena on walks and socialize her with other Danes! Keena has been doing REALLY well with meeting other dogs lately. Unfortunately she still does get some negative reactions from the dogs but now its not really her fault. She is doing all the right things and sniffing politely and allowing others to sniff her as well.  I'm hoping that meeting these Danes will not only help socialize her but me as well! I love this breed so much and it will be really nice to meet others (in person) who love them as much as I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment