Friday, June 24, 2011

Training Trials

  The day after I adopted Keena I started training her. I know how important having a well trained dog is and how annoying/frustrating it can be to live with a dog that is not. Keena is very smart but some days training her is very difficult! She caught on to sit, wait, down, and leave it after just one or two training sessions. I can have her lie down and wait with a treat on her paw, not eating it until I say she can. She can be in a down/wait (I use wait instead of stay) while I leave the room and she is taking commands in public with distractions all around her very well. Since I got her the new pillow bed I really wanted to teach her the "to your bed" command. After working on it for a few days she knows the command but seems to really hate it! I've tried all her favorite treats and try to keep training sessions for that trick to only a few minutes a day but she really does not want to go "to your bed". She acts the same way she did when I used to put her in her crate or the bathroom (places she doesn't like). She will walk away when I give her the command and eventually come back and lie next to it, or half on it...but it is a struggle for her. I was wondering if I should change the command name...I used to say "to your crate" and maybe it's too familiar? Does anyone have any ideas on how to keep Keena interested in the training sessions and maybe get this bed command working?

No comments:

Post a Comment