Friday, February 3, 2012

How Does a Great Dane Get Fit and Stay Healthy?!?

Well, as many of you know...I am in Weight Watchers again. This is my frist week and its going pretty well so far. How does this lifestyle change affect Keena? She is a pretty laid back dog and she takes most things in her giant dog stride. Keena has some advice for all of the other dogs out there who are wondering how to get fit and stay healthy....Dane style!

1. Eating Healthy:
I feed Keena Taste of the Wild dry kibble. It is a non grain based dog food. I can pronounce all of the ingredients on the lable! She loves it. Her vet would like her to lose a few pounds so right now she is getting 5 cups a day split between two meals. One thing that the vet recommended was that I could try giving her healthy snack like fruits and veggies. I have been trying some things with her but she has been stuck in her "meat, meat and more meat" mindset. The other day I was packing my lunch and a carrot dropped to the floor. Well, being my trusty sidekick, Keena was at my side to eat the carrot. I didn't think that she would like it but I looked back down and it was gone! Last night I even tried a piece of cucumber and she like that too! She is a new and health food eating dog!

This picture may look like she is snubbing the carrot...but this is what she does when I present a treat. It's her "leave it command" at work.

   2. Excercise:
         My new year's intention was to walk Keena three times a week. Well, now that I'm actively trying to lose weight I really need to get moving. How does my Great Dane motivate me for success?!?! Well, she runs around like a crazy dog when I get home from work because she is excited to see me and has so much energy! Also, she plays very roughly with my roommate's dog, Manii. Anyone that has a Dane or a giant breed dog knows how dangerous it can be when your dog gets hyper inside the house! Keena is doing a very good job at motivating me to excercise!

3. Good Self Esteme:
     Keena doesn't care how much she weighs or what she looks like. She doesn't care about how much I weigh, what I  look like. Dogs have the best outlook on life. They are inspirational. They know no judgement, know no discrimination. Dogs will love you and trust you if you give them some attention and food always helps. Keena will sprawl out on her back in the middle of the floor (even sometimes exposing her lady business) rolling around without a care. She will fart with no fear, burp with reckless abandon, and lick anyone in the face that she likes. Now, I'm not suggesting that YOU do these things (I'm pretty sure you would not get good responses from the public) but take a look at the life of a dog. Learn to love who you are, no matter what society tells you your "flaws" are. You are beautiful amazing people! Embrace yourself!!!!

4.  Be Cute:
     Okay...this one isn't really about staying healthy.....but it hard to be mad at her when I look into her beautiful amber eyes and see those adorable jowels. Its a face any Dane mom would love. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment