Friday, December 9, 2011

Keena vs. Kong

   When I first started looking for a dog I went out and bought a lot of things because I had no idea what kind of things my new dog would like. One of the kinds of toys I have always loved are puzzle feeders so one of my first purchases was a Kong (gigantic size of course)! I even looked up "recipes" online of different ways to stuff the Kongs and different foods to put in them.  When I first started giving them to Keena I knew I had to make it pretty simple since she had never had one before. Well, let's just say that Keena can be a lot like me (a little lazy.... :)...) and I found that she would simply give up leaving all kinds of tasty treats inside! Well, on this snowy, lazy day off I decided to try the Kong again. I always try to keep a few cans of dog food around as a Kong stuffer. I put a layer of some of her favorite treats, a little kibble and them some dog food on the top.

   I was determined that today Keena was going to finish the whole Kong! I wanted to watch her "methods" and see what we needed to work on. Well, her problem was that she was only trying to use her tong (big as it may be) and not those gigantic paws! I let her go at it for a while then when she gave up, I litterally picked up her paw and hit the Kong with it causing a little piece of kibble fell out. It was like a light bulb went off! She kept batting at it and before long all of the kibble and treats were gone! I was very very proud of my baby! I know she is smart...she just needs to work a little harder at it! :) The next time I stuff the Kong I plan on freezing it overnight so that the canned dog food is a little tougher for her to get through. Who knew all I needed to do was show her how to use her strength to her benifit!

No comments:

Post a Comment